At a Glance
- A project that needed to be expedited at pace
- Contractor tendering process undertaken in a limited time frame
- Excellent project management has ensured deadlines have been met whilst work completed remains at a high level of quality
- Quality land development advice and documentation meant the tendering process was completed with ease
Kāinga Ora brings together the people, capabilities and resources of the KiwiBuild Unit, Housing New Zealand and its development subsidiary HLC. This is designed to enable a more cohesive, joined-up approach to delivering the Government’s priorities for housing and urban development in New Zealand.
Kāinga Ora has two key roles, one to be a world-class public housing landlord and the other to partner with the development community, Māori, local and central government, and others on urban development projects of all sizes.
McKenzie & Co. were engaged by Kāinga Ora for the development of stages 2C and 2D at 37 Burberry Rd, Karaka, Auckland.
The scope of this project includes the following:
- EPA design drawings and submission to Council
- Works scheduling, tender documents and tender process
- Siteworks and construction observation
- Compliance, works testing and 224c documentation through to issue of 224c
- Boundary adjustment/land swap Land Transfer Survey
- Land Transfer Survey for fee simple titles within Stages 2C & 2D
McKenzie & Co. were engaged by Kāinga Ora in late 2021, and to keep the momentum on addressing homelessness and making homes more affordable for New Zealanders, Kāinga Ora wanted to ensure that this project was expedited at pace. To ensure that this happened, McKenzie & Co. set the tender process in motion immediately, guaranteeing that contractors were engaged prior to the end of 2021 and were ready to hit the ground running in early 2022.
Unusually this has also meant that construction was started towards the end of earthworks season (April 2022), but this ensures that Kāinga Ora’s estimated building start date will likely be met.
McKenzie & Co’s Founder & Managing Director (Clayton McKenzie) and expert team members (Mark Melville, Mark Lendrum and Noella Bernard) have driven this project forward by keeping contractors working to deadline. This was achieved by leveraging our team’s excellent project management skills; having a strong presence on site, and making sure that clear, organised plans with defined objectives have improved team collaboration.
McKenzie & Co. believes in open and proactive communication with contractors to keep teams aligned and focused, as well as the use of project management tools to help increase efficiency.
Giles Tait, Kāinga Ora’s Senior Development Manager – Greenfield & Complex says “Kāinga Ora’s Homes & Communities project is my first experience working with McKenzie & Co. From the first meeting with Mark Melville & Clayton McKenzie, the team at McKenzie & Co. have got on and delivered their work with urgency.
Mark, as my principle contact and consultant, has ensured that other organisations have been held to deadlines. This, coupled with quality documentation and advice, ensured the tendering process went without a hitch. As the civil earthworks progress, my encounters with the wider McKenzie & Co. team continue to show more capable professionals who are a pleasure to work with.”